Families: Reasons for Revised Areas
The REC revised the areas in the region for the following nine (9) reasons:
1) A need to create more Fraternal Family Feelings
2) A need to help fulfill the Rule, Constitutions and Statues which encourage:
To foster communion among members, the council should organize regular and frequent meetings of the community as well as meeting with other Franciscan groups They should seek out ways of unity and fraternal harmony through dialogue, trusting in the presence of the divine seed in everyone and in the transforming power of love and pardon. A sense of community will make them joyful and ready to place themselves on an equal basis with all people
3) The fraternities from the same diocese were placed in the same area to encourage compliance with Rule, Article 6:
They have been made living members of the Church by being buried and raised with Christ in baptism; they have been united more intimately with the Church by profession. Therefore, they should go forth as witnesses and instruments of her mission among all people, proclaiming Christ by their life and words.
Called like Saint Francis to rebuild the Church and inspired by his example, let them devote themselves energetically to living in full communion with the pope, bishops, and priests, fostering an open and trusting dialog of apostolic effectiveness and creativity.
4) It gives the members a better sense of the "larger" (REC, NAFRA) Franciscan family by widening their focus from "my local fraternity"
5) It gives the councilors more flexibility
6) It gives the councilors greater responsibility
7) It provides constant communication in the event one of the councilors resigns, moves, dies, etc.
8) Frequent Family Meetings gives more face-to-face time, increases communications with the members to & from the REC, encourages sharing among the members, etc. Eventually, all REC members will attend at least one.
9) Lastly, to be in compliance with, the last REC Visitation Report from NAFRA where we can encourage:
Fraternities should be encouraged to be more visible as a group
Fraternities should encourage ALL its members to be actively involved
Fraternities should bond and pray and socialize with other fraternities
Fraternities should re-imagine ways to encourage new vocations
OFS should make a statement as a group based on JPIC or a pressing local issue
Fraternities should always use Franciscan topics for on-going formation
OFS should work with the larger Church: Bishops, Provincial SA’s, etc. by sending newsletter, visitation reports, etc.